- Began experimenting with the idea of applying patterns to programming with Kent Beck
- A founder of the Extreme Programming, along with Kent Beck and Ron Jeffries.
- An original signatory of The Manifesto for Agile Software Development.
- Inventor of wiki
- A founding Member of Hillside Group with Kent Beck, Grady Booch, Jim Coplien, Ralph Johnson, Ken Auer and Hal Hildebrand.
- Proposed CRC cards with Ken Beck.
- You know you are working on clean code when each routine you read turns out to be pretty much what you expected.